This section contains practical articles and member only tools on strategic planning at an organizational wide level.
Use this section to formulate, implement and evaluate strategy at an organizational level.
The pink buttons are free articles. The blue buttons are member tools and guides.
- When to do strategic planning. How to know when to do strategic planning. The top 10 reasons for doing strategy.
- What are visions and values. This article explains what an organizational vision and values are, and how to use them to solve organizational problems.
Strategic roles: New CEO
- The new CEO's first 100 days.What are the most important leadership activities a new CEO or leader should focus on during his first 100 days? This article highlights how to win support, set ground rules, and create the focus.
- The new CEO - 7 early questions.How prepared are new CEO's for success? Seven crucial early questions that new CEOs need to answer early on to improve their chances of success. By Konstantinos Apostolatos
- New CEO - how to prepare your first speech to your management team.One of your first tasks as a new CEO is to win the support of your management team. This tool shows you step by step, how to prepare a powerful first speech to your management team.
- The CEO's role in strategic planning.What makes strategic planning fail or succeed. Warning signs a CEO should take note of before, during and after a strategic planning workshop. How to set the tone for successful strategic planning.
- CEO strategy speech- how to prepare a speech to open a strategy workshop.As a CEO you are expected to deliver the opening address at a strategy workshop or retreat. This guide shows you how to prepare a powerful yet concise speech to set the scene for a successful strategy workshop.
- The roles played in the strategic management processThe 9 characters who act on the stage of strategic management in an organization.
- Strategic alignment roleThe four elements of strategic alignment that the CEO focuses on. Purpose and direction, structure and delegation, information and control, reward and recognition.
Strategic roles: CEO
Strategic roles: Strategist.
- The role of a strategic planner or head of strategic planning. The roles played by the head of strategic planning, and his/her strategic planning department. .
- Head of strategic planning. How to negotiate the role that will make you successful within your own organization. The role of the strategic planning department differs from organization to organization, and is often the result of a negotiation. Use this tool to negotiate the role you should play within your own unique context.
- The CEO's step-by-step guide to developing a strategic plan.A step-by-step guide to strategic planning for the CEO. Use it to develop a strategic plan that you would be proud to present to your board of directors. Or use it to develop a common vision to guide your organization.
- Steps in strategic planning. What type of strategic planning workshop do you need? You need to plan a strategic planning workshop. This article highlights the most common strategy workshop objectives and the appropriate strategic planning activities to achieve these objectives.
- Strategy planning process. Plan a strategy workshop. Workshops often form part of a strategy planning process. But how do you go about planning for a successful strategy workshop?
- Do strategic research : Strategic Trends - a PEST analysis tool.Get up to date research on macro environmental trends that could impact on your organization.
- Scenario planning. Develop a scenario of the future environment within which your organization will operate.
- Prepare for your strategy workshop: Identify strategic issues.How to identify the strategic issues you need to include in your strategy workshop.
- Prepare for your strategy workshop: Clarify strategy workshop objectives.How to clarify the objectives for your strategic planning workshop.
- Prepare for your strategy workshop: Identify potential challenges.How to identify the interpersonal and political challenges that could prevent you from achieving your strategic planning workshop objectives.
- Prepare for your strategy workshop: Plan the content and activities.The elements of a strategic planning process. How to plan the content of your strategy workshop. Design your strategy workshop with this step by step approach.
- Prepare for your strategy workshop: Plan the process or group dynamics.The way in which people work with one another during a workshop affects the results of your strategic planning workshop. This guide shows you how plan the group dynamics or process of your workshop.
- Prepare for your strategy workshop: Plan the time you need. How the group size and strategy content affects the time you need for your strategy workshop. How to calculate the time you need for team based strategic planning.
- Strategy planning process. Select delegates for a strategy workshop. Choosing who to involve is an important part of any strategy planning process. Use this article to guide you in selecting delegates for a strategic planning workshop.
- Prepare for your strategy workshop. Collect strategic information.This guide shows you what strategic information you need to collect before a strategy workshop.
- Prepare for your strategic planning workshop. Pre-strategy interviews.Prevent politics from sabotaging your workshop. Get buy-in from delegates and creative input from important customers. Use our pre-strategy interview questions.
- Prepare materials for a strategy workshop.How to prepare workshop activities, slides, leader guides and agendas to use when facilitating a strategic planning workshop or retreat.
- Organize the logistics for a strategy workshop. What can go wrong?How to avoid common logistical problems that prevent delegates from focusing on strategy during a strategy workshop.
- Manage delegates' expectations before a strategy workshop.How to invite delegates to a strategic planning workshop. How to manage expectations so that delegates are prepared to do strategic rather than operational thinking.
- The role played by a CEO during a facilitated workshop.What does the CEO do during a facilitated strategy workshop? The 7 roles played by a CEO during a strategy workshop. Use this guide to develop your opening and closing speeches. Know when to act as a leader and when to be part of the team.
- The facilitator's role during a strategy workshop.The facilitator's role in a strategy workshop is to ensure that the group achieves their workshop objectives, on time. This sounds simple, but it isn't. Because strategic planning is political in nature. This guide shows the roles played by a successful facilitator.
- How to write a strategic plan - for CEOs and strategistsThis is not a simplistic one page strategic planning template. Rather this guide will help you to write a comprehensive strategic plan. One that you can present with confidence to a board of directors, a parent company, or an external funder.
- Recession strategies. 5 strategies for managing during a recession. Recession strategies. 5 positive strategies that will build your organization during a recession.
- Protecting the status quo. How people prevent new strategies from being implemented.8 ways people who guard the status quo prevent a new strategy from being implemented.
- A CEO's guide to implementing strategy. What do you do, once your strategic plan has been developed? This article shows you how you can use your vision to lead your executive team. It then provides you with 12 steps for implementing your strategy throughout the organization.
- Strategy implementation case study. A strategy implementation case study of an intervention designed to help a frustrated CEO. It describes a workshop for his executive and management team.
- Customer-centric organizationsCreate a customer-centric organization. Execute a customer centric strategy or build a customer centric culture.
- Why strategic projects fail.10 reasons why strategic projects fail. A video case study and article on how management inexpertise causes strategic projects to fail.
- How to evaluate a strategy. We invest a lot of time and energy in developing our strategic plans each year. But how do we know if we have achieved? How do we evaluate the end result of our efforts - the strategic plans? And how do we evaluate the process we followed to achieve our end result? Read this article if you need to evaluate a strategy.
- Measure strategy using kpiHow to use strategic measures and kpi to execute strategy successfully.
- One-day workshop to develop a profit culture.A design for a one day workshop to develop a profit oriented culture. Groups develop their own strategies using the Change Puzzle Kit and Winning the Game of Change Kit.
This section contains articles and tools for doing innovation on an organizational wide level.
The pink buttons are free articles. The blue buttons are member tools and guides.
Set up an innovation system in your organization.
- Develop an innovation system. If you are starting an innovation function, or you are struggling to get people to submit ideas to an innovation, then read further.
- Creative Friday - practical innovationHow to communicate Creative Friday to employees. A way to encourage innovation and continuous improvement.
Develop an innovation culture.
Creativity and innovation management. Develop a supportive culture.Doing creativity and innovation management? Do you have the culture that encourages people to be innovative?
Why innovation and continuous improvement fail in organizationsFive practical reasons why innovation and continuous improvement programs fail in organizations. Why innovation is more than a system for logging ideas and rewarding people for creative ideas.
Change Management & leadership
This section contains articles on leadership, change management and organizational development on an organization wide level.
It is used by leaders working on projects that cut across divisions and departments such as:
- Project managers on organizational wide projects.
- Directors of change management.
- Directors of Organizational Development divisions.
- Consultants and facilitators working on projects that affect an entire organization.
The pink buttons are free articles. The blue buttons are member tools and guides.
- The 4 most critical leadership skillsFor CEOs and Executives. The 4 non negotiable leadership skills and elements. By Randal Godden.
- The functional, management and leadership roles of an executive.For CEOs and Executives. The 3 core roles of an executive. How to balance functional, management and leadership roles. By Randal Godden.
- Effective leadership styles.Effective leadership styles. This article examines both the dark side of leadership and its potential toxic effect on organizations as well as the light side of effective leadership.
Diagnostic tools for change management and organizational development
- Poor morale in the workplace - diagnostic toolA tool to help you diagnose poor morale in a team or organization. Based on a complex decision tree, this powerful coaching tool provides a quick way to diagnose a morale problem plus 40 + practical solutions.
Research on change management
- Change management research - resistance to change.A comprehensive change management research study on the challenges faced by executives, change consultants, human resource leaders and other change professionals. 1072 people were surveyed.
Sell the need for change
- Do you need to sell the concept of change management in your organization? Are you starting an internal change management function? Do you need to explain what change management is, and how it will benefit your organization or project? We have developed a set of slides that you can use in a presentation to your executive team or project team.
Build a change management infrastructure.
- Help your change agents deal with politics When faced with resistence from their colleagues, managers and the organizational culture itself, it is small wonder that change agents become demotivated and lose their confidence. How to set up a structure to provide political support to your change agents.
- Develop an integrated change management approach. Do you need to formulate a change management framework or integrated approach? Do you want to sell the concept of a change agent network into your organization? We have developed a set of slides that you can use in a presentation to your executive team.
Measure the effectiveness of change management.
- Change management dashboard - measure change management. Measure change management on your project with our change management dashboard. Get advice on what you need to do to ensure success of change management.
- Qualitative measures- how to measure the soft side of an organization. Measuring impact rather than activities creates more meaningful measures for qualitative work in organizations.
Change management fundamentals
- Change management dictionary. Have you ever been confused with all the terminology around change management? Use this wonderful dictionary by Robert Gilbreath.
Roles played in change management
- Roles in change management.The three main roles played in change management. The leader of a change management department, a change manager or consultant and a change agent.
- The role of a change manager. From change agent to change master.The role of a change manager. From change agent to change master. The 9 different roles played by a change master. Qualities of a change master.
- Organizational change and development. Assess the competence your organization needs. Assess the level of change management or organizational development competence that your organization needs. The first step in determining the roles to be played in change management or organizational development.
- The role played by the head or leader of a change management department A detailed description of the roles, actions and skills of the head or leader of a change management department. Use this to develop a job description for the individual or team leading the change management function in an organization.
- The role of a change manager or consultant A detailed description of the roles, actions and skills of a change manager or consultant. Use this to develop a job description of a change manager or internal change consultant.
- The role of a change agent or champion A detailed description of the roles, actions and skills of a change agent or champion. A job description of a change agent.
Develop a change management strategy
- Why change fails. Ten reasons why change fails and why company strategies don’t get successfully implemented. Ten steps to manage change effectively in an organization.
- Manage resistance to change. Develop a change management strategy How to develop a change management strategy to overcome resistance to change. A useful tool for change managers, project managers, change consultants and anyone responsible for managing an organization wide change.
Implement large scale, complex change.
- Successful mergers & acquisitions. How to manage a merger or acquisition successfully. What to do during each stage of the merger or acquisition.
Get everyone aligned to a new strategy, structure or process.
- Role definition tool to help individuals clarify and negotitate their roleAfter any major organizational change get people to change their focus. Get each leader and employee to use this role clarification tool to help them redefine their roles and negotiate their core roles with their stakeholders.
- Role definition for organizations. How to use a role cascading process to implement a change.How to use a role definition cascading process to align what people do on a day to day basis, to a new strategy, structure or organizational change.
Change an organisational culture.
- Organisational culture and behavioural changeWhy a new organisational culture doesn't translate into behavioural change.
- Values roll-out. A step by step guide to translating values into behaviors.How to develop a strategy, plan and budget to roll out values throughout your organization and translate organizational values into behaviors.
Roll out organizational values
- Values roll-out: Clarify goals and objectives How to clarify the goals and objectives of your values roll-out or values cascading process.
- Values roll-out: Identify stakeholders. How to define the support you will need from different stakeholders during the values roll-out process so as to change the beliefs, attitudes, behaviors and habits of everyone in the organization.
- Values roll-out: Get support from your stakeholders. How to approach the different stakeholders of your values roll-out project so as to get their support.
- Values roll-out: Identify key success factors How to identify how you will measure the success of your values roll-out project. What makes values roll-out projects fail and succeed.
- Values roll-out: Use systems thinking to ensure people can live the values. How to use systems thinking to identify the organizational elements that could prevent people from living the organizational values.
- Values roll-out: 9 steps to change values into behaviours. Nine steps you need to follow to roll out new values in an organization and to ensure the values translate into behaviours.
- Values roll-out: Clarify and negotiate roles. Having identified the steps you will take to change values into behaviour, you now need define the roles that need to be played. Who will do what.
- Values roll-out: Develop a detailed plan or road map. How to develop a detailed plan or road map showing what you will do week by week, to translate organizational values into behaviours.
- Values roll-out: Create a budget What to include in your budget for rolling out organizational values across all departments and areas in your organization.
Culture change info-graphics
A series of detailed info-graphics which show the journeys of different role players in a successful culture change in an organization.
- Old vs new beliefs about work An info-graphic that shows old vs new thinking for organizations operating in a VUCA world of volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity, vs the thinking that works best in stable environments.
- The role of an executive in transformation An info-graphic that shows what the CEO and the executive team do differently when transforming an organization.
- Roles played in a culture changeAn info-graphic of the different role players needed to change an organizational culture. Steer-com, executive, manager, change agent & employee.
- Corporate culture - the overall company journey.An info-graphic of the overall journey taken by a company to change its corporate culture.
- Corporate culture - the employee journey.An info-graphic of the journey taken by employees during a corporate culture change. From a fear based culture to a culture that delights customers in a changing world.
- Corporate culture- the steering committee journey. An info-graphic that shows the journey the steering committee of a culture change process goes on to change the company culture.
- Corporate culture - the managers journey. An info-graphic that shows the journey managers and senior managers take during a corporate culture change as they become leaders who empower other leaders to empower employees.
- Corporate culture - the change agents journey An info-graphic that shows the journey change agents take during a corporate culture change as they facilitate, coach and guide employees.
- Corporate culture - the CEO and executive journey An info-graphic that shows the role and journey that the CEO and executive team take during a corporate culture change.
- How a systems or IT change affects cultureAn info-graphic showing how a systems change affects a culture change.
- How an organizational restructure affects culture.An info-graphic showing how an organizational restructure affects culture.
- When does culture change end?An info-graphic to answer the question "When does culture change end?" "When can we tick culture off our list of priorities?"
- Are you a change-ready employee?An info-graphic that compares employees who are successful in a stable environment, with employees who thrive during change.
- One-day workshop for a small company that has grown fast.A design for a one-day workshop to help a small company with an entrepreneurial or family culture to deal with issues associated with fast growth.
Choose your membership plan now.