- Communicate change: Celebrate early adopters
Communicate change: Celebrate early adopters04-Jan-2018
What to communicate during a change process when you want to celebrate early adopters of the change.
Most large scale organizational changes involves changing the way people in an organization behave. Behavior is affected by:
- Results. What gets noticed, recognized, rewarded or punished.
Executives, managers and change agents can change the behavior of employees by changing what they notice, recognize and reward.
Recognizing and celebrating early adopters of a change encourages others to learn and practice the new skills, behaviors and attitudes required to make a change work.
We build a critical mass of people in the organization who are living the change, in a step by step way. We use the power of recognition to encourage people to join the critical mass of those benefiting from the change.
- As the change team or steering committee (and the executive) recognize managers whose subordinates have adopted the change, the managers are motivated to encourage more of their team to be successful in the change.
The most important determinant of behavior is who and what gets noticed, recognized and rewarded.
- As managers share their success stories of early adopters in their areas with the rest of the organization, this builds pride and positive energy in their teams. It creates a spirit of friendly competition, as other managers encourage their teams to master the change too.
- As executives continue to recognize the behaviors they want from the change, and ignore those who remain trapped in the old way, and as they recognize those managers and change agents whose teams have adopted the change, a wave of energy, creativity and productivity gets unleashed throughout the organization.
Click on the link above to go to the article, event, blog post or product mentioned in the announcement.
Choose your membership plan now.