- New member tool: New CEO speech. How to prepare your first speech to your management team.
New member tool: New CEO speech. How to prepare your first speech to your management team.06-Mar-2013
One of your first tasks as a new CEO, is to gain the trust of your management team. You need to let your team know what you expect from them, and what they can expect from you.
Why a new CEO needs to clarify expectations.
As a new CEO, you may have been appointed by a board of directors, to turn around an organization. To do this, you need the support of your management team. This team is used to working with the previous CEO, who may be different to you.
As a new CEO, you need to let your management team know what you expect from them, and what they can expect from you.
The easiest way to do this, is to deliver a carefully crafted speech in your first meeting with your management team.
Some of the team members may have flourished under the previous CEO, and may be filled with apprehension about your appointment. Other members of the team may have suffered under the leadership of the previous CEO, and may be looking forward to working with someone with a different leadership style. All of your team members are wondering:
- Who are you?
- What do you expect from them?
- What are you intending to change? How this will affect them and their careers?
- What can they expect from you?
If you fail to answer these questions during your first meeting with your team, they will try to figure out your expectations themselves.
They will waste a great amount of time trying to 'work you out' as they interpret or misinterpret your motives from what you do or say. They will then spend even more time comparing what they think you are about, with other members of the team.
They will interpret your intentions from your actions, your lack of actions or your body language.
This step by step practical guide for new CEO's or leaders will help you write a powerful speach to present at your first meeting with your management team. A speech that will help you to:
- Build trust with your team.
- Clarify expectations. Set the tone for a new era under your leadership.
- Generate support from your team in tackling the challenges you are likely to face during the next few months.
The tool begins by giving you a series of questions to answer. As you answer these questions you will develop the content you need for your speech. You will clarify for yourself:
- What you need to say to win the team's support.
- The specific challenges you and your team face.
- The behaviours you expect from your team.
- What you won't tolerate from your team.
- What your team can expect from you.
The member tool then shows you how to shape the information you gave in your answers, into a powerful structured speech.
As a new CEO or leader, first impressions with your management team count.
Make sure your first speech to your management team sets the tone you want as leader.
- You will need to be logged in as a member to view this tool. If you are already a member, begin developing your speech as a new CEO.
- Or click here to buy a quick membership.
Click on the link above to go to the article, event, blog post or product mentioned in the announcement.
Choose your membership plan now.